Re: truncating files

The problem with removing and recreating is that if a program has that
file open for appending (e.g. logfiles), the file isn't actually
removed from the disk until that program closes its file descriptor.
So you end up with 3 problems:
 1. The file still exists on disk, but is not linked to in any
    directory;
 2. New log messages are sent to the phantom file, not to your newly
    created file - so you never see them; and
 3. You lose the file ownership and permissions of the original
    file.

--Bill.

William R Ward          Bay View Consulting   http://www.bayview.com/~hermit/
hermit@bayview.com     1803 Mission St. #339        voicemail +1 408/479-4072