Re: SCSI Linux & IDE Win95 on same box?

On 5 Dec 1997, William R. Ward wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to ask for some advice on a new system I want to build.  I'd
> like to have a Windows 95 filesystem installed on an IDE disk and a
> Linux (Debian 1.3.1) on a SCSI disk.  I have a generic EIDE controller
> with HD and CDROM currently, and will be installing an Adaptec 2842 in
> addition with a SCSI disk on it.
>
> I already have Win95 on the IDE disk I want to use, and want to
> install the SCSI disk.  Do I need to do anything special to get it to
> boot properly?
If you wish to boot from your harddisk, you will need lilo and need to
install in on the mbr of your IDE disk. (I assume, your BIOS won't let you
boot off your SCSI disk directly)

Install linux normally using the Boot/Root/Rescue disk and let the system
make a boot floppy for you. Make sure, the Windows 95 partition is marked
bootable.

Boot from the just make boot floppy, then make a /etc/lilo.conf like:
boot=/dev/hda
root=/dev/sda1  # <-- depending on the number of your root partition
linear          # <-- this might or might not be needed
install=/boot/boot.b
vga=normal
timeout=50
prompt
other=/dev/hda1 # <-- depending on the number of your Win 95 partition
  label=Win95
image=/vmlinuz
  label=Linux
  read-only