Re: perl missing from status file

On Fri, 5 Dec 1997, Robert D. Hilliard wrote:

>      I have a small partition that was used in the bo testing period
> that, IIRC, is in the status in which the base installation left it.
> It contains 18 mb, representing the packages installed from the base
> disks.  Perl exists in this partition as /usr/bin/perl, but perl does
> not show up in /var/lib/dpkg/status or /var/lib/dpkg/available.  The
> dpkg --get-selections command produces a list of 53 packages, but perl
> is not among them.
>
>      Is this status correct?  It doesn't seem right that a package
> could be installed on a debian system without being known to dpkg.

You're running into a legacy of the hacked perl-base that is installed on
the boot disks.  The latest perl package actually has a seperate perl-base
which should be included on the final hamm boot floppies and dpkg should
then know about it.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/