Re: Running defrag in single user mode...

Single-user mode is also known as runlevel 1.

To go to any runlevel, as root run 'telinit [level]' -- so 'telinit 1'
would bring you to single-user mode, 'telinit 0' would shut down the
system, 'telinit 6' would reboot.. and 'telinit 2' (or 3 or 4) would
bring you back to multi-user mode.

You could also reboot, and at the LILO prompt give the argument
'single' or 'emergency' after your label (I do 'linux single' to boot
into Linux single-user).

--
Brought to you by the letters Y and U and the number 11.
"It's cold.. and there are wolves.." -- Grampa Simpson