Re: Philosophical question

The question below and recent email about commercializing Debian inspired
me to add ammo for some, maybe information for others.  If 'commercializing'
is a bad word, just view it as 'clearing up some common misconceptions
about linux, Debian specifically,' but anyway:

I think Debian should highlight on this - that upgrading often is
necessary in today's environment (or at least the University's which
I can speak for).  Security bugs and fixes are issued near daily it
seems.  Faculty, staff, and students all want the latest and greatest
software.  People at home merely browsing the web want plugins and
software, and they too are being attacked even over dialup - mostly
due to the devlopement of the web where users are exposed to much
more tools and software, and also where 12 year old clowns can
take down systems after 5 minutes of searching.  (For every
powerful tool, there comes a downfall)

Ever try installing a MS product?  What if you could tell the poor,
frustrated people that have to that it could be as simple as 'ftp'
and 'dpkg -i *' ?? (In most upgrading cases)

I am the admin for about 140 Suns, which isn't quite Debian,
(yeah I know, but it pays my bills), but it is way closer than MS!
I find upgrading so much easier than what I see our NT admins
go through on just one of our labs (34 Machines).

My humble opinion, in which no way represents my employer, :)
Dennis
--
dpk <dpk@egr.msu.edu>, Systems/Network         |  work: 353.4844
Division of Engineering Computing Services     |  page: 222.5875