Re: colormap in X server

On Tue, 2 Dec 1997, Cheng Tang wrote:

> Is there a way to increase colormap in X server? Everytime
> I start netscape, all other program (asclock, gimp, etc) can
> no longer use color. I don't know whether this is
> due to constraints in my setting in X or the hardware.
> How can I find this out and fix this problem?  Thanks a lot!!

I assume you mean how to increase the number of bits per pixel, which
would in fact result in a larger colormap and stop the sudden color-switch
when netscape loads itself up.

X defaults to eight bits per pixel (bpp) - you can change that default,
but first pick a value for bpp that you're comfortable with.  To test
values, switch out of X to a text console and do:
startx -- :1 -bpp n
Where n is one of 8, 15, 16, 24, or 32.  Note that the higher you go in
terms of bpp, the worse your resolution gets.  Test out this X screen
(this screen, by the way, will open on virtual console 8, so you can use
Ctrl-Alt-F8 to switch to it; Ctrl-Alt-F7 gives you your regular X session)

Once you find a value for bpp that you like (I use 16 bpp at 1152x864
quite happily with a mere 2 MB of video memory) add the following line to
/etc/X11/XF86Config, in the "Screen" section, right after the Driver line
that mentions which X server you're using:
   DefaultColorDepth   n
where n is the value you picked.  For example, since I use the SVGA
server, a piece of my /etc/X11/XF86Config looks like this:
Section "Screen"
   Driver          "SVGA"
   DefaultColorDepth 16
   Device          "Primary Card"
   Monitor         "Primary Monitor"

Then just restart the X server (If you're using xdm, logging out of your X
session and doing a Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace should do the trick)