Re: dev for SCSI tape

Lawrence wrote:
  >Oliver Elphick wrote:
  >>
  >> Lawrence wrote:
  >>   >What is the likely device name in the /dev directory for a SCSI tape
  >>   >drive? is it /dev/tape?  Anyone using the Seagate Travan SCSI backup?
  >>
  >> SCSI tape drives are:
  >> crw-rw-rw-   2 root     root       9,   0 Feb 19  1997 /dev/st0
  >> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       9,  96 Feb 19  1997 /dev/st0a
  >> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       9,  32 Feb 19  1997 /dev/st0l
  >> crw-rw-rw-   1 root     root       9,  64 Feb 19  1997 /dev/st0m
  >>
  >> If you have more than one you can create /dev/st1 and so on
  >>
  >> The SCSI tapes are assigned to st[0-9] in the order that they are recognis
      >ed
  >> at boot time.
  >
  >What is the meaning of suffix {a,l,m}?

From /usr/src/linux/Documentation/device.txt:
  9 char        SCSI tape devices
                  0 = /dev/st0          First SCSI tape, mode 0
                  1 = /dev/st1          Second SCSI tape, mode 0
                 32 = /dev/st0l         First SCSI tape, mode 1
                 33 = /dev/st1l         Second SCSI tape, mode 1
                 64 = /dev/st0m         First SCSI tape, mode 2
                 65 = /dev/st1m         Second SCSI tape, mode 2
                 96 = /dev/st0a         First SCSI tape, mode 3
                 97 = /dev/st1a         Second SCSI tape, mode 3
                128 = /dev/nst0         First SCSI tape, mode 0, no rewind
                129 = /dev/nst1         Second SCSI tape, mode 0, no rewind
                160 = /dev/nst0l        First SCSI tape, mode 1, no rewind
                161 = /dev/nst1l        Second SCSI tape, mode 1, no rewind
                192 = /dev/nst0m        First SCSI tape, mode 2, no rewind
                193 = /dev/nst1m        Second SCSI tape, mode 2, no rewind
                224 = /dev/nst0a        First SCSI tape, mode 3, no rewind
                225 = /dev/nst1a        Second SCSI tape, mode 3, no rewind

                "No rewind" refers to the omission of the default
                automatic rewind on device close.  The MTREW or MTOFFL
                ioctl()'s can be used to rewind the tape regardless of
                the device used to access it.

I can't find any documentation that explains (comprehensibly) what the
modes are.  I believe that l = low density and m = medium density; I have
no idea what a is.  It may be that the tape hardware may not support
the use of these other modes.  I have not tried to use any but the
default (minor number = {0,128}) with my DDS drive.

Unsolicited email advertisements are not welcome; any person sending
such will be invoiced for telephone time used in downloading together
with a £25 administration charge.