Re: Anti-relaying rules for smail?

> On Mon, 1 Dec 1997, Remco Blaakmeer wrote:
> > Some guy is relaying a huge lot of spam e-mail via my computer. My
> > computer is normally only used by myself and I do receive a lot of e-mail
> > through several lists, but this guy caused /var/log/smail/logfile to be 41
> > MB (that's right, forty-one MEGABYTES) [1]. Does anyone know how to
> > prevent such actions, apart from blocking smtp traffic from his computer
> > [2]?  I tried mailing his postmaster (using his IP address, not the From:
> > line), but I got a 'message undeliverable' (or something like that) error.
> >
> > What I would want is a filter that blocks any attempt of sending an e-mail
> > from another host to a user at a third host. I beleive this is called
> > relaying.  The filter should look at the 'rcpt to:' smtp command, not at
> > the 'From:' or 'To:' headers. I know this can be done with sendmail, but
> > how do I do it with smail?

ftp://ftp.bitgate.com/ftp/blackmail

blackmail is a wrapper for smail in inetd which checks for relaying
(other than from an authorised list of sites) and also for particular
known spam sites, and just hangs the connections basically. They usually
give up after that.

However we had a few people complain they couldn't contact us while
we were running it (on our company server) so we removed it.

hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.