RE: smartware from angoss

On 28-Nov-97 butch wrote:

> i used to use a dos office automation package called smartware and it was so
> far in advance of anything else at the time. the spread sheet was the best
> of its time.
> now i see that it is availabel as an impaired free download at:
> www.angoss.com. so have any of you out there used the package?
>
> allan bart

I didn't know this in its DOS days: I found out about it a couple of years ago
in its Linux incarnation. Yes, the spreadsheet is excellent. The database
module it very good too. I find these two so useful that it was worth paying
the registration fee (otherwise you can't print or save, as I recall) and buying
the manuals.

I don't have much use for the word-processor module, though, since it is
incompatible with just about anything else except through exported/imported
text files, and I use other things for primary text processing.

And I have almost no use at all for the "comms" module (integration of the
other three with dial-up communications and data transfer).

If you're already familiar with it (which is an important factor, since it isn't
trivial to learn how to use it effectively from scratch as I had to do) then I'd
definitely encourage you to look at its Linux version.

Best wishes,
Ted.

E-Mail: Ted Harding <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk>
Date: 30-Nov-97                                       Time: 13:48:51