Re: I'm an idiot and sed proves it...

Dale wrote,

>It seems that none of the solutions presented allowed sed to find and
>replace the -<newline> character pair.

Now that it's phrased that way, a memory arises.

I was trying to make filters to make articles posted to a mailing list
readable a while back (my ISN hardware  would freeze on a ^S with bit 8 high,
which is a quote in one of the character sets).

Anyway, there were a couple of filterings that I couldn't do, as sed seemed to
ignore certain combinations that it generated.  The solution was two filters:

cat rawfile | sed -f filter1 | sed -f filter2

which solved my problems.

rick