xfree help

I guess what i really need help with is first:
finding the problem then  correcting it:-)

Im using a ATI Mach 64 3D RAGE II card, a GoldStar 65ie monitor(its a
Standard VGA), my os is Debian 1.3.

This is the result i get when i run SuperProbe:
	First video: Super-VGA
        Chipset: ATI 264GT-B (3D Rage II or II+) (Port Probed)
        Memory:  4096 Kbytes
        RAMDAC:  ATI Mach64 integrated 15/16/24/32-bit DAC w/clock
                 (with 6-bit wide lookup tables (or in 6-bit mode))
                 (programmable for 6/8-bit wide lookup tables)
        Attached graphics coprocessor:
                Chipset: ATI Mach64
                Memory:  4096 Kbytes

I have downloaded these new xfree files since the xfree version that
comes with debian 1.3 doesnt support my video card:

extract       relnotes      x331fnts.tgz  x331man.tgz   x331upd.tgz
	      x331bin.tgz   x331fsrv.tgz  x331prog.tgz  x331vg16.tgz
postinst.sh   x331cfg.tgz   x331lib.tgz   x331set.tgz
preinst.sh    x331doc.tgz   x331ma64.tgz  x331svga.tgz

and i have placed these files in /var/tmp

i then follow the steps in the relnotes file:

cd /usr/X11R6
sh /var/tmp/preinst.sh
chmod 755 extract
cd /usr/X11R6
/var/tmp/extract /var/tmp/X331*.tgz
cd /usr/X11R6
sh /var/tmp/postinst.sh

Then i run XF86Setup
I choose ATI Mach 64 3D RAGE II, Internal RAMDAC
Super VGA, 800*600 @ 56 Hz

Then i save the configuraion in /etc/XF86Config and exit like the menu
options says. Now at this point ive heard that xwindows should start by
itself or atleast after ive entered the command "startx" but nothing
happens. Neither xdm, startx, xclock or any commands like that
activates xwindows. I don't get any error messages it just wont
start?.please help meeeee:-)

I am a beginner so i couldve missed something really easy without
knowing it, if so i apologize for wasting your time but i really
need some help here. If i havent added sufficient with information
or if theres some specific information that you need to help
me dont hesitate to ask for it.

Ohh and im sorry about my poor english:-)

joppe