smail locking

I keep getting the following messages:

11/27/1997 10:03:00: open_spool: /var/spool/smail/input/0xb7IX-001Lt6C:
lock_fd() failed: Try again

Is there some lockfile which I need to rm?  It seems to happen most if I
try to send some mail when not connected to my ISP causing diald to bring
up a connection.  I wonder if there is something which times out while the
connection is being established.  If I wait a while while staying
connected, the mail eventually gets sent, however unless I am doing
something else which keeps the connection going, diald will shutdown the
link before this happens, with the mail remaining in the queue.

Bob

----
                            http://www.primenet.com/~nielsen