Re: Annoying boot-up messages

You probably have files in /etc/init.d or /etc/rc.boot that you
modified. When you upgraded these files were not updated. Look
for files in these directories that end with dpkg-dist. Those
are the new files, but are not being used. Some things need to
happen different at boot-up now. You will need to make your boot-up
files as more like the ones ending with dpkg-dist.

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Pann McCuaig wrote:

> On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Kevin Traas wrote:
>
> > >What I'm concerned about, of course, are the lines like this:
> > >modprobe: /proc/modules: No such file or directory
> >

> > Try creating the file manually....
> >
> > As root, just type "> /proc/modules ; chmod 444 /proc/modules" (without the
> > quotes, of course).
>
> Thanks, but, /proc/modules exists and is populated:
>
> $ ls -l /proc/modules
> -r--r--r--   1 root     root            0 Nov 25 12:16 /proc/modules
>
> $cat /proc/modules
> dummy              1		0
> bsd_comp           1		0
> ppp                5	[bsd_comp]	0
> slhc               2	[ppp]	0
> serial             8		1
> lp                 2		0
> hpfs               3		0
> sonycd535          3		0
>

> --

*   For God so loved the world that He gave his only begotten Son,  *
*   that whoever believes in Him should not perish...    John 3:16  *
* W. Paul Mills          *     Topeka, Kansas, U.S.A.               *
* wpmills@midusa.net     *     http://homepage.midusa.net/~wpmills/ *
* wpmills@sound.net      *     http://www.sound.net/~wpmills/       *
* Bill, I was there several years ago, why would I want to go back? *