Re: I'm an idiot and sed proves it...

Stephen Zander wrote:
> Aaron Denney wrote:
> > This isn't quite the appropriate venue for such questions, as it is
> > a general unix/sed question and not very specific to Debian.  In the
> > future try the newsgroup comp.unix.programmer or comp.unix.questions.
>
> Lignten up :) Dale provides immense assistance to this list; he deserves
> a little slack.

I tried not to be harsh in chewing him out...  Actually people in those
newsgroups are more likely to answer questions correctly.   This
goes for a lot of stuff on debian-user actually, even some of the more
``on-topic'' posts.  (Well not those newsgroups in particular, necessarily.)
And I did try to help, even if I wasn't much help.

> > Your problem is that the inner quotes don't add another level quoting, but
> > take away another level of quoting.  To be a little clearer:
> >
> > > 	sed -e 's/'\t'/ /g' <infile >outfile
> >             ^^    ^^^^ are the quoted parts.
> >
> > The \t is not quoted, but is interpreted by your shell, which replaces the \t
> > with an actual t.  If you take out the inner quotes, it should work:
> >  	sed -e 's/\t/ /g' <infile >outfile
> >
> > This will pass an actual \t to sed, which will interpret it as a tab characte
> r.
>
> Actually, no.  Bash requires $'\t' for the literal insertion of
> an escaped character (and no, I didn't know. I looked it up :))

This is what I get for answering without actually trying something out.
:) Apologies to all, especially Dale, for the gratuitous use of
bandwidth.  The other posters seem to have helped you though.

--
Aaron Denney