Re: tar, cpio, or cp?

"Frere Roy" <frereroy@taize.fr> writes:

> Your question prompted me to think about the way I make backups of
> my Debian system to tape.
>
> I use:  tar cvf /dev/st0 .
>
> Could someone on the list please tell me if I can restore my
> complete working system from the archive made in this fashion - or
> suggest a better way !

I regulary create backups of my whole system using tar on SCSI tapes.
After repartitioning my hard discs I was able to restore one of these
backups without any problem, no manual intervention was neccessary.  I
just mkefs all filesystem, mounted them as neccessary, did the
restore, and adjusted the /etc/fstab and /etc/lilo.conf.  Lilo just
run once and my system was working again.

        Torsten

--
I haven't lost my mind -- it's backed up on tape somewhere.
                                            Fortune Cookie