Re: Dial-up users on local subnet

Steven Tonnesen wrote:

> I am using Debian linux boxes as firewalls at various schools and I have
> come across one minor irritation:
>
> Dial-up users dial in to an NT server which is on the same subnet as the
> linux boxes and which gives ip addresses to the dialup users that are in
> the same subnet as the Linux and NT boxes.
>
> When a user dials in to the NT server, it can take up to 30 seconds for
> the Linux box to start replying to pings (or anything else for that
> matter).  Usually this delay doesn't occur at all, but I'd say around 20%
> of the time connections are delayed.  I can ping other machines on the
> same subnet as the NT and Linux machines.
>
> I'm thinking this has something to do with an ARP cache or something
> (which I admittedly know nothing about).  If I assign a separate subnet to
> the dialup users on the NT server will that cure my problem?  Is there
> some other way I could cure this problem?  Some other way would be better
> as I have only got 7 class C addresses and 28 schools to divide them
> between.

I'm inclined to point the finger (or give the finger to) your NT server.
It doesn't make sense that other machines on the net would start responding
to pings while the linux box would be delayed. If they were *all* delayed when
you experience the problem, I could believe it.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com