Strange MS mouse behaviour: defective mouse or serial driver?

Hi,

I am experiencing a strange problem with a mouse used with gpm.
I connect a Microsoft mouse to /dev/ttyS0, then issue:

killall gpm; gpm -m /dev/ttyS0 -t bare

so far, so good: gpm displays its cursor, which moves regularly.  Then
I issue:

killall gpm; gpm -m /dev/ttyS1 -t bare
killall gpm; gpm -m /dev/ttyS0 -t bare

and the mouse stops working.  If I pull it out and connect it again,
it starts working.  This is perfectly reproducible.

An older MS mouse does not exhibit this behaviour.  That is, it does
not stop working when I change the gpm port and switch it back.  Is
the newer mouse broken?  Should I ask for a replacement or it is
"normal"?  And why ever?

Thanks for reading

Francesco