Re: Possible bug or flaw detected.

George Bonser wrote:

> There is something that bothers me about your stance that there is
> something wrong with the driver ... surely this woudl have been exposed
> before.  Are you the only 486 running a 509? You yourself say that the
> same hardware works fine on another machine with the same driver.
>
> This leads me to believe that there is something odd going on here.  can
> you email me a copy of your /usr/src/linux/.config file that reflects the
> current state of the kernel that you have installed and running?
>
> On Wed, 26 Nov 1997, Wintermute wrote:

Per your request my .config, also included the dmesg output from my previous build
with the 3c509 compiled in, and a dmesg output from the current build with 3c509
built as a module.  (dmesg and dmesg_mod respectively).

I would LOVE for someone to prove me wrong about this, and show me some little
detail I've overlooked.  In fact if it means I'll be able to get the ether going
(which means I can finally take a crack at getting Linux to use the RoadRunner
Cablemodem service I just got which was my next thing to do after getting a new 7G
HD and installing Debian on my home system (finally, and with 5G of space all to
itself to spare for any contingency as compared to the measely little 540M HD which
would only have been able to provide about 200M for Linux as Win95 is eating up the
rest)) I would WELCOME being humbled.
I would thank you and ask for seconds on that humble-pie.

Console: 16 point font, 400 scans
Console: colour VGA+ 80x25, 1 virtual console (max 63)
Calibrating delay loop.. ok - 3.06 BogoMIPS
Memory: 31196k/32768k available (504k kernel code, 384k reserved, 684k data)
This processor honours the WP bit even when in supervisor mode. Good.
Swansea University Computer Society NET3.035 for Linux 2.0
NET3: Unix domain sockets 0.13 for Linux NET3.035.
Swansea University Computer Society TCP/IP for NET3.034
IP Protocols: ICMP, UDP, TCP
VFS: Diskquotas version dquot_5.6.0 initialized
Checking 386/387 coupling... Ok, fpu using exception 16 error reporting.
Checking 'hlt' instruction... Ok.
Linux version 2.0.29 (root@wintermute) (gcc version 2.7.2.1) #12 Tue Nov 25 22:34:09 EST 1997
Real Time Clock Driver v1.07
hda: Maxtor 87000A8, 6679MB w/256kB Cache, LBA, CHS=851/255/63
hdb: probing with STATUS instead of ALTSTATUS
hdb: probing with STATUS instead of ALTSTATUS
hdc: CD-ROM CDR_S112, ATAPI CDROM drive
ide0 at 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 on irq 14
ide1 at 0x170-0x177,0x376 on irq 15
md driver 0.35 MAX_MD_DEV=4, MAX_REAL=8
Partition check:
 hda:Started kswapd v 1.4.2.2
 hda1 hda2 hda3
Adding Swap: 32124k swap-space
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0x0000.
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0x0000.
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0x0000.
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0x0000.
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0x0000.
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
tty02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
[...]
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0xffff.
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0x0000.
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0x0000.
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0x0000.
  3c509 EEPROM word 7 0x0000.
Serial driver version 4.13 with no serial options enabled
tty00 at 0x03f8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
tty01 at 0x02f8 (irq = 3) is a 16550A
tty02 at 0x03e8 (irq = 4) is a 16550A
#
# Automatically generated by make menuconfig: don't edit
#

#
# Code maturity level options
#
CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL=y

#
# Loadable module support
#
CONFIG_MODULES=y
CONFIG_MODVERSIONS=y
CONFIG_KERNELD=y

#
# General setup
#
# CONFIG_MATH_EMULATION is not set
CONFIG_NET=y
# CONFIG_MAX_16M is not set
# CONFIG_PCI is not set
# CONFIG_MCA is not set
CONFIG_SYSVIPC=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_AOUT=m
CONFIG_BINFMT_ELF=y
CONFIG_BINFMT_JAVA=m
CONFIG_KERNEL_ELF=y
CONFIG_M586=y
CONFIG_BIGPHYS_AREA=y

#
# Floppy, IDE, and other block devices
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_FD=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD_IDE is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDECD=y
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDETAPE is not set
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_IDE_PCMCIA is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640=y
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_CMD640_ENHANCED=y
# CONFIG_IDE_CHIPSETS is not set
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_LOOP=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_MD=y
CONFIG_MD_LINEAR=m
CONFIG_MD_STRIPED=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_RAM=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_XD=m
# CONFIG_BLK_DEV_HD is not set

#
# Networking options
#
# CONFIG_FIREWALL is not set
# CONFIG_NET_ALIAS is not set
CONFIG_INET=y
# CONFIG_IP_FORWARD is not set
# CONFIG_IP_MULTICAST is not set
# CONFIG_IP_ACCT is not set
# CONFIG_ARPD is not set
# CONFIG_INET_PCTCP is not set
CONFIG_INET_RARP=m
# CONFIG_NO_PATH_MTU_DISCOVERY is not set
CONFIG_IP_NOSR=y
CONFIG_SKB_LARGE=y
CONFIG_IPX=m
# CONFIG_IPX_INTERN is not set
CONFIG_ATALK=m
# CONFIG_AX25 is not set
# CONFIG_BRIDGE is not set
CONFIG_NETLINK=y
# CONFIG_RTNETLINK is not set

#
# SCSI support
#
# CONFIG_SCSI is not set

#
# Network device support
#
CONFIG_NETDEVICES=y
CONFIG_DUMMY=m
CONFIG_EQUALIZER=m
# CONFIG_DLCI is not set
CONFIG_PLIP=m
CONFIG_PPP=m
CONFIG_SLIP=m
CONFIG_SLIP_COMPRESSED=y
CONFIG_SLIP_SMART=y
# CONFIG_SLIP_MODE_SLIP6 is not set
# CONFIG_NET_RADIO is not set
CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM=y
CONFIG_EL1=m
CONFIG_EL2=m
CONFIG_ELPLUS=m
CONFIG_EL16=m
CONFIG_EL3=m
CONFIG_VORTEX=m
# CONFIG_LANCE is not set
# CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_SMC is not set
# CONFIG_NET_ISA is not set
# CONFIG_NET_MCA is not set
# CONFIG_NET_EISA is not set
# CONFIG_NET_POCKET is not set
# CONFIG_TR is not set
# CONFIG_FDDI is not set
# CONFIG_ARCNET is not set

#
# ISDN subsystem
#
# CONFIG_ISDN is not set

#
# CD-ROM drivers (not for SCSI or IDE/ATAPI drives)
#
# CONFIG_CD_NO_IDESCSI is not set

#
# Filesystems