pop3 problem

I have a debian box that serves mail for a large group of people (off
site). I was using in.qpopper for the pop3 daemon until the trouble
started. Now, when they try to check mail they get the following error:

Could not log in to the POP3 server.
The server responded:

maillock: '/var/spool/pop/<username>.pop'

Please enter a new password for POP3 user <user>@<domain.com>

I tried everything under the sun to get that fixed, but couldn't, so I
downloaded the pop3d package. After compiling it, users can check mail,
but the server responds that they don't have any, though they do.
Evidently the pop client can connect to the port, but the daemon checks
in the wrong place for the mail.

I don't know where to go to troubleshoot the problem further. Does anyone
have any ideas?

Thanks in advance,

Michael