Re: XISP package problem...

On Tue, 25 Nov 1997, Andrew Akins wrote:

> I install the xforms package, which xisp depends on. However, it
> installs as xforms0, and so xisp isn't finding it (I'm getting a
> dependency error).

This should not happen.
This is what I have installed. As you can see xforms is not installed, but
xforms0.

un  xforms          <none>         (no description available)
hi  xforms-dev      0.86-2         GUI Toolkit for X Window Systems
hi  xforms0         0.86-1         GUI Toolkit for X Window Systems
hi  xforms0.86      0.86-2         GUI Toolkit for X Window Systems

Which version of xisp and xforms do you want to install?

> On a related note, when I installed xforms, I got the following when it
> was configuring:
>
> ldconfig: warning: can't open /usr/X11R6/lib/libforms.so.0.18 (No such
> file of directory), skipping

This should be libforms.so.0.86, not 18 ...

> it generates the same error for the /usr/X11R6/lib/libforms.so,
> /usr/lib/libtkstep.so and /usr/lib/libtkstep4.1.so files.
>
> The files do exist, but they appear to be symbolic links rather than
> real files.

libforms.so should point to libforms.so.0.86
libtkstep is also pointing to a non-existing file.

My advice: get mc. It shows you if a link points to a file or not.
"good" links will show up with a @ prepended, "bad" links have a "!".

Get newer versions of mc and xisp than there are on the debian ftp-servers
from ftp.internet-treff.uni-koeln.de/pub

Ciao,
	Martin