Re: uninstall GMT

Marco Secli' CELINT wrote:

> 25/11/97
>
> Hello, My name is Marco Secli' (CELINT S.R.L.)
> I'm in trouble with GMT time and I'd like to remove it without repeating all
> the installation of "DEBIAN linux".
>
> Waiting your kind answer.
> Thank you

Ok, here's the deal. Upon bootup, the system time is set from the
real-time-clock which is built into your computer (the "system clock").
Now, in Windows and others, the "system time" is saved in terms of
local time, not GMT. If you don't have windows installed on your Linux
machine for dual-booting, then you can go ahead and use GMT, otherwise
you need to stick with local time for the system clock or windoz will
be screwed up. The reason you're screwed up at this point is likely
because you mistakenly answered incorrectly when the installation
script asked you about how system time is stored. Anyway, here's
what we gotta do to fix this thing.

The program '/sbin/clock' reads/writes the "system clock". This
program takes an optional parameter, '-u' to mean "the system clock
is [to be] stored with GMT, not local time". You can read the man
page for full info. Anyway, first let's see what's going on. Run
'/sbin/clock -u -r' which means "read the system clock and show
me what time it is, assuming the system clock is stored as GMT".
If you see the correct time, then we know the system clock is stored
as GMT. If you don't then run '/sbin/clock -r'. If that shows you
the correct time then the system clock is *not* storing it as GMT.

Now, armed with the knowledge gained in the above exercise, we can
edit the file /etc/init.d/boot. Bring it up in your favorite editor
and look for a line like:

GMT="-u"

Now, if we determined that your system clock is stored as GMT, then
the line should appear exactly as above. If not, then the line should
be:

GMT=""

Once this is done you should get the correct time when you reboot.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com