3c509 Detection problem. Experienced user needs assistance.

I'm not new to Linux by any means, and I've read my eyes raw looking for
ways in which to get my 3c509b ISA PnP ethernet card to work under
Linux.

I have installed many of these same cards on our Linux boxes at work
with no problem, however this one is a doozy.

These are the ways in which I've configured it so far:

PnP enabled, driver built into the 2.0.30 kernel, reserve= and/or ether=
commands at the Lilo boot prompt.
PnP disabled, driver built into the 2.0.30 kernel, reserve= and/or
ether= commands at the Lilo boot prompt.

PnP enabled, driver built as a module for the 2.0.30 kernel, io= and/or
irq= commands at the insmod command line and in conf.modules.
PnP disabled, driver built as a module for the 2.0.30 kernel, io= and/or
irq= commands at the insmod command line and in conf.modules.

The card works under Win95 in both PnP and non-PnP modes.  The card is
configured for I/O base 0x300, and IRQ 10 (both free and clear so no
conflicts.. looking in /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports confirms
this).  IO 0x300 and IRQ 10 are pretty standard so I don't forsee any
problems there.

Thinking that my cheap Reveal Ensoniq Soundscape ripoff may be the
culprit I yanked it from the system and tried the above methods again
with NO success.

Here's the kicker.. brace yourselves....

When I have run the el3-diag and 3c5x9 diagnostic/configuration programs
under Linux (also written by Becker, the god of ethernet) they find the
card just fine AND they confirm that my settings are indeed as listed
above.  When attempting to 'insmod 3c509' (with AND without the io= and
irq= options) I get this message:

init_module: Device or resource busy.

But it can't be because NOTHING is using it!!!!

And just in case you're wondering what my setup is:

5x86 133MHZ AMD
32M Ram (SIMMs)
Cirrus Logic GD5426 SVGA
Zoom 28.8 V.34i Fax/Modem
CMD EIDE VLB Dual Port IDE controller
Maxtor 7G EIDE drive (Diamond Series)
Torisan 16x IDE/ATAPI CDROM

Some intrinsics:

3 Serial ports all registered at the appropriate places: 3f8, 2f8, 3e8
(IRQ's 4,3,4 respectively)
IDE controller using IRQ 14,15 and IO base 0x1F0
AMI BIOS REV July 1994
NO PnP BIOS
NO PCI BIOS
1 LPT port at 378 as usual.

I challenge anyone to step up and take a swing at this.  Lord knows I've
given it my absolute best shot.  The only thing I could hope for is that
someone could tell me how to hard code the 3c509 driver to force
initialization at my specified IO/IRQ settings, or convince Becker to
release manually editable 3c509.c source code.

I'm all out of answers here.  Anyone with something to try please don't
hesitate to send it my way.  Who knows, it may go a long way in helping
alot of other people with the same  problem.

One other thing:  I have been thinking that perhaps the "Device or
resource busy." message might not be a result of the driver, but
something else in the kernel, or something misconfigured on the system
(the usual suspects IE: permissions, a missing dev, etc...) but I know
I'm reaching.

I am running Debian 1.3.1 "Official" released by LSL.  It's a stock
install with no modifications other than a standard kernel compile after
install.

Lots of luck gentlemen.