Re: Commands Manual

> I think his needs are far more basic than that. He seems to be wanting a
> list of utility-names, as most first-time Linux users (including me) want.
> There are not many things more frustrating than thinking "I know it can be
> done, but I don't know how and I don't even know with what utility, so I
> don't know what man page to look at" -- if you have already discovered the
> very existance of the 'man' utility.

 You may use apropos. e.g:

newton:~$ apropos gif
giftrans (1)         - transform gif from gif87 to gif89, making one color transparent
gif2tiff (1)         - create a TIFF file from a GIF87 format image file
whirlgif (1)         - a quick program that reads a series of GIF files, and produces a single gif file composed of those images.
zgv (1)              - view GIF/JPEG/PPM/BMP/TGA/PCX/PNG files on VGA/SVGA displays
newton:~$ _