Re: wtmp, last wrecked (bo->hamm upgrade)

On Mon, 24 Nov 1997, Peter Gervai wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm about upgrading to hamm, probably in the middle of it. THe system
> works and no problems detected at all until I realised that my 'last' is
> broken. 'login', 'sysvinit' packages are the new ones, but 'last' writes
> complete garbage, and a slight view at wtmp shows something different than
> my old bo ones...
>
> Can be that logout / leaving an account wrecks it... hard to tell.
>
> What can be wrong? What programs can modify/handle/wreck wtmp or last? I'm
> using login ('course), mgetty (autoppp), several acct packages... but
> can't figure out what's the problem.

The format of the utmp/wtmp file has changed between libc5 and libc6.  The
version of libc5 in hamm can handle the different utmp file (which keeps
track of who is on NOW), but didn't have functions to deal with wtmp.
Upgrading everything that is responsible for logins (ssh, xterm, login,
etc) and zeroing out wtmp will clean up your problem.

--
Scott K. Ellis <storm@gate.net>                 http://www.gate.net/~storm/