kernel divide error with 2.1.65 anyone?

[debian unstable system]

I've tried to run ppp (2.3.1) with a 2.1.65 kernel and I get a:

"kernel divide error: 0000"

and then when I ctrl-alt-del, shutdown aborts with:

"kernel null pointer dereference" (or similar)

forcing a fsck on reboot.

I've been trying this with 2.1.x kernels since 45 or so with the same
result up to now. Not that I really _need_ to run this kernels but I'm
just curious as to why this happens. After looking around on debian and
linux-kernel lists archives I haven't seen similar problems.

Am I cursed?

Thanks in advance.

--

     Louis-David Mitterrand