Re: TROUBLES WITH LINUX DEBIAN GNU 1.3.1 2CD SET

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Oscar Alvarez Paredes wrote:

> I bought this 2CD Debian Distributuion but i haven't already been able
> to instal it.
>
> I tryied to boot it from the CD but after displaying the first line it
> hangs.
> I made the seven instalation disks and i installed the base system but i
> couldn't configure my CR-ROM, so i copied the whole CD in my hard disk
> and i executed dselect but it couldn't find the /stable/binary-i386
> directory. I have selected /bo/binary-i as this directory an it lets me
> choose the packages to install but when proceeding with installation it
> aborts because of many erros.

Hopefully some others will reply to this, becuase you should have been
able to install from CD (Ihave always done it on the net, so I can't
comment). Anyway, when you copied the entire CD to harddisk, did you
preserve all the symlinks properly? I would expect dselect to bomb if you
did not. Then it should be a matter of pointing dselect to the base
directory where you have put debian (i.e. the directory that contains
bo, hamm, etc. After that, you should be able to select stable or
unstable. Cheers.

--
Colin Telmer, Institute of Intergovernmental Relations
School of Policy Studies Building, Room 309, Queen's University