Re: XFree86 insecurity (fwd)

On Fri, Nov 21, 1997 at 09:02:11PM -0500, Tommy Lakofski wrote:
> Anyone know if debian is vulnerable to this, given that the setuid
> /usr/X11R6/bin/X is a wrapper for the XFree86 server?
>
> I'd like to know before I chmod u-s /usr/X11R6/bin/X...

Just try it. I tried it here, and found it did not work.

[2:38pm] hamish@hamishpc:~> X -config /etc/shadow

Fatal server error:
Can't open option file /etc/shadow

When reporting a problem related to a server crash, please send
the full server output, not just the last messages

Thanks for forwarding this Tommy. You can make sure it reaches
the appropriate people by sending it to security@debian.org too.

Hamish
--
Hamish Moffatt, StudIEAust              hamish@debian.org, hmoffatt@mail.com
Student, computer science & computer systems engineering.    3rd year, RMIT.