Re: Problems compiling kernel with modules

Robert Goodwin <goodwin@cuug.ab.ca> writes:
> I just recently downloaded kernel 2.0.30 and have been having problems with
> modules.  I've run make config and answered yes to ne2000 support, ppp and
> parallel printer.   then I compiled it and installed on a floppy without a
> hitch.  then I ran make modules and then make modules_install and that
> seemed to go ok too as it created a directory called
> /usr/lib/modules/2.0.30 with a few modules in it.  only problem is it's
> missing ppp.o, lp.o, ne.o, slip.o and the kernel gives errors indicating
> that when it tries to load them.  when I look in /usr/lib/modules/2.0.0
> they are still in there but if I copy them to the same place in 2.0.30 it
> gives me errors saying that those modules are for the wrong kernel.  how do
> I get the ones I need where they are supposed to be?

Firstly, did you compile ne2000 etc. as modules?  If you just answer
`yes' then they aren't modules, they're compiled into the kernel
itself.

Second, you probably want to install the Debian package
`kernel-package'.  It lets you make a Debian package of your kernel
and automates installation of it with LILO and onto floppy disks.
--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> <blp@gnu.org> <pfaffben@debian.org>