Re: qic-02

Mike Schmitz admin0 wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Jens B. Jorgensen wrote:
>
> > Mike Schmitz admin0 wrote:
> > >
> > > I am trying to set up a mountain qic-02 drive with debian. The default
> > > kernel seems to be compiled with qic-02 support, and comes up with a blurb
> > > on bootup about finding a tpqic device. I am not sure what device to use.
> >
> > Take a look at the FTape howto. It should tell you everything you
> > need to know.
> >

> The Ftape howto explicitly says it does _not_ cover qic-02 tapes.

Ok. You got me there. If your kernel is detecting the device, you're
looking pretty good. Next you may need to create the device files.
You should run:

   /dev/MAKEDEV qic

While will create /dev/tpqic11, /dev/ntpqic11 (rewinding, non-rewinding
respectively) and so on for format types 24, 120, 150. Once that's
done (and assuming all the device configuration is correct) you'll
be able to do things like:

  tar -cf /dev/tpqic11 /home/myhomedir

Ok? Sorry to point you toward the useless Ftape howto. Note that
there's information in there which can be applied (or adapted) to
QIC-02 since not all of it is specific only to QIC-80, etc. (Like
stuff on how to make an emergency repair disk that will allow you
to restore from tape.)

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com