Re: Configuring Pine

On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> On Thu, 20 Nov 1997, Johann Spies wrote:
>
> > If you look at the header of this message, you will see that where the
> > other messages shows the sender of the message, this one shows "To:
> > Debian-poslys .....".
> >
> > How do I change that?  I am using Pine and smail.

First off, only you see things that way; the rest of us don't.
What you're seeing is just a feature of Pine - by default, the fourth
field in an index listing is the sender of a message if it isn't you, or
"To: Recipient name" if it is you.  Frankly, I think that this makes a lot
more sense than always showing the sender of the message, especially when
browsing your "sent-mail" folder.  But if you really must have things this
way, go into the pine configuration (Main menu->Setup->Config) and change
the index-format value to:
STATUS MSGNO DATE FROM(33%) SIZE SUBJECT(67%)

I will repeat that in all likelihood it is better not to make this change,
and that the difference between your mail and others' mail only is showing
up in pine's index viewer; the rest of us see nothing different about your
messages.

DANIEL MARTIN