   Date: Mon, 22 Jul 1996 17:07:39 -0600
   From: Rick Macdonald <rickm@vsl.com>
   Subject: deb-view.el: emacs tool for browsing deb files!

I've written a tool for emacs that allows one to browse deb files.
It's nice to peek at a package file and read the doc, man pages, install
scripts, file list, etc, without installing it first. You can even copy
files out of a deb archive if you want to!

Why emacs? Because most of the smarts to do this stuff was already in
emacs. I just gathered it together in a simple but clever way for Debian
users!  ;-)  Emacs users will recognize "tar-mode", the emacs feature
that that I'm exploiting.

Here's sort of what it looks like on the screen. To view any file, just
go to that line and press "v". If it's a man page file, press "N". Press
"W" to view HTML. It doesn't matter is the file is compressed (.gz); it
uncompresses automatically on the fly.

Press "c" to copy an individual file out of the archive!

Buffers Files Tools Search Operate Mark Immediate Help
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 ./
 -rw-r--r--    root/root        441 control
 -rw-r--r--    root/root         13 conffiles
 -rwxr-xr-x    root/root       1459 postinst

-----C37 L2   Emacs: sudo_1.4.3-5.deb-INFO (Tar Narrow)--All---

 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 ./
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 etc/
 -r--r-----    root/root        280 etc/sudoers
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 usr/
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 usr/bin/
 -rwxr-sr-x    root/root      41996 usr/bin/sudo
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 usr/man/
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 usr/man/man8/
 -rw-r--r--    root/root       4782 usr/man/man8/sudo.8.gz
 -rw-r--r--    root/root       3257 usr/man/man8/visudo.8.gz
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 usr/man/man5/
 -rw-r--r--    root/root       5289 usr/man/man5/sudoers.5.gz
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 usr/sbin/
 -rwxr-xr-x    root/root      24596 usr/sbin/visudo
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 usr/doc/
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 usr/doc/copyright/
 -rw-r--r--    root/root       1282 usr/doc/copyright/sudo
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 usr/doc/examples/
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 usr/doc/examples/sudo/
 -rw-r--r--    root/root       2572 usr/doc/examples/sudo/sudoers
 drwxr-xr-x    root/root          0 usr/doc/sudo/
 -rw-r--r--    root/root       2335 usr/doc/sudo/FAQ.gz
 -rw-r--r--    root/root       2398 usr/doc/sudo/debian.OPTIONS.gz

--**-C37 L9   Emacs: sudo_1.4.3-5.deb-DATA (Tar narrow)--All---

The lisp file is about 300 lines long. I decided not to post it to the
list, for fear of annoying non-emacs users, so I've put it up on a web
server. Sorry, I don't have anonymous ftp for you. The file is about
13KB.

http://www.cuug.ab.ca/~macdonal/deb-view.el

If you can't get at it, I can email it to you.

Note that deb-view works for the current and past formats of the Debian
file format. As the deb file evolves, I hope I can continue to provide
this tool.

One thing that I'm missing is a way for future Debian newcomers to know
about this tool. Suggestions welcome.

I hope some of you find this useful!

...RickM...