Emacs and PCMCIA cards

Hi

Whenever I have PCMCIA cards running on my (Toshiba) laptop it is impossible
to open emacs from the console (rather than in an X environment). Emacs
just hangs and the only way to stop it is to kill the process
from another virtual console. Recently, after using my modem,
and then removing the modem card I tried to run emacs and received
teh following message:
eth0:trigger-send() called with the transmitter busy.
Why should emacs interact in this way with (presumably)
the card manager and how do I overcome the problem.

Thanks

Bill