Re: Installation SONY CD-ROM

darren morin <darren@cnwl.igs.net> wrote:
:I have the Debian Linux edition CDRom from the boot! magazine (Nov.
'97)
:and I constructed my disks using the DOS rawrite-2 tool, and everything
is
:fine there.  However, since I'm a newbie, my question is regarding in
the
:CD Rom installation.  I have a SONY CDU31-A, and the prompt comes up
during
:installation asking me for a "command line argument".  What?!?!  What
is
:it? (I have the port addresses in my Sound Blaster 16 manual, if that's
:what its talking about).

I too am having the same frustrations that Darren is with the disk from
Boot magazine. I have been trying to ignore the "device drivers" part of
the installation, but when I log onto the system, the system cannot find
my CD-ROM to do dselect (I'm not sure, but I don't think it is finding
my floppy drive, either).

Questions:
(1) Is there on-line documentation explaining in greater detail what
needs to be done during the "install device drivers" exercise (it is not
intuitive, at least to me)? The documentation that I have found on the
disk and on-line so far just slides over this part of the installation.
(2) If the answer to (1) is "No," then:
	(a) Do I need to load a device driver during installation and issue
commands to it so that my floppy drive will be recognized (a standard
3.5", 1.44 MB drive configured as drive a:)?
	(b) What should I do during the installation to get the system to
recognize the CD-ROM attached to my Soundblaster 16 PnP (Win95 tells me
it's a Matshita CR-581-M attached to a standard IDE/ESDI controller; the
IRQ is 10; I have no idea what the port number is; all the jumpers have
been removed).
	(c) Will I need to perform a "mount" command after I log onto the
system as root?
(3) At the moment, I am not sweating about my printer, mouse, or modem.
I am presuming that once I get onto the CD, that I should be able to fix
those things. Is this a good presumption?

Right now, I have a skeletal system that I can play with to learn Unix
commands (a valuable exercise in itself), but I would really like to get
at all the riches waiting for me on the CD-ROM.

Many thanks for your help!