Re: video cards

"Paul Miller wrote:"
> I'm looking for a PCI video card for Linux, which will allow me to do
> at least 1024x768 in 24bit mode.. and of course as fast as possible. I
> would like to spend around $300..
>
> Here are a few cards I've looked at: Diamond Fire GL 1000 Pro (8 meg)
> - $250 Matrox Millennium II (8 meg) - $310 ATI Xpert@Work (8 meg) -
> $250 ATI Xpert@Play (8 meg) - $300
>
> Right now I'm thinking about the Matrox Millennium II (8 meg).. Are
> there any other cards which have better proformence? and how well are
> these cards supported under Linux/X?

I have a Millenium II with 8MB.  It supports 1600x1200 24bits (packed
pixel) under win95.  Unfortunately, I've only gotten it running 1280x1024
16bits under linux.  I downloaded the latest XF86_SVGA from xfree and
moved the debian one to XF86_SVGA.old.  This server has support for
configuring the Millenium II, but it still has some bugs.  I sometimes
see garbage in the far left column of xterm windows.  The team writing
the driver expects new versions of XF86_SVGA and the Millenium II to
be one of the highest performing xfree combinations.  All the X EDA
applications I run for work (run on solaris, displayed on linux) work
fine in 16bit mode, but I've heard that not everything will.

Check www.pricewatch.com for the best prices.  I saw the OEM version for
$249.

--
Lee Bradshaw                 lee.bradshaw@mindspring.com (preferred)