Re: Removing obsolete packages

Lukas Eppler hat gesagt: // Lukas Eppler wrote:

> >     Lukas> Hi, When I remove a package, which contains files also
> >     Lukas> contained in other packages, is it removed?
> >
> >     Lukas> Or, if I remove a file from perl-base, is /usr/bin/perl
> >     Lukas> still there afterwards, because it's contained in the perl
> >     Lukas> package?  Do I risk perl and dpkg to be unable to run by
> >     Lukas> removing perl-base?
> >
> > dpkg will refuse to remove a package if it removal would break another
> > installed package (except if you force dpkg)
>
> Nooooooo... see what happened....
>
> io# /etc/init.d/sendmail start
> /etc/init.d/sendmail: /usr/sbin/start-stop-daemon: No such file or
> directory
> io# head -3 /usr/sbin/start-stop-daemon
> #!/usr/bin/perl --
>
> $version= '1.4.0.8'; # This line modified by Makefile
> io# ls /usr/bin/perl
> ls: /usr/bin/perl: No such file or directory
>
> That was exactly why I asked, to avoid this!
> I used dselect, no happy dpkg hacking. grunt.
>
> perl-base was marked Obsolete.
>
> --

Had the same problem a while ago. After upgrading perl I remove the "obsolete"
old perl via dselect. It turned out that /usr/bin/perl had disappeared after
this. But there was a /usr/bin/perl5... I symlinked it to /usr/bin/perl
and everything was okay.

--
  Yours 	              	<a href="http://www.koeln-online.de/einblick/";>
  Frank Barknecht		Das Koelner Stadt- und Unimagazin