Re: ncurses3.4

Þann 18-Nov-97 skrifar Scott Ellis:

> I beg to differ here.  My machine runs sync'd to hamm, but I still use
> several programs that are only libc5 (including netscape).  Everything
> works fine, although with Netscrape running my memory useage is a bit on
> the cramped side.

  The reason I say, that you need to purge them (especially if you are
doing development), is because of...

0x401c6230 in malloc ()
(gdb) bt
#0  0x401c6230 in malloc ()
#1  0x401c6145 in malloc ()
#2  0x401c12cc in fopen ()
#3  0x80ab65b in getline ()
#4  0x80abb5c in getline ()
#5  0x80ada67 in getline ()
#6  0x80afcb9 in getline ()
#7  0x8051b25 in _start ()
#8  0x805330d in _start ()
#9  0x40038bfc in fl_object_qread ()
#10 0x40046ef5 in fl_do_forms ()
#11 0x80570fd in _start ()

  Programs like xfig, and ghostview will produce similar results... SIGSEGV in
malloc() or free().  The reason here, appears to be that libc5 and libc6 use
two different malloc routines and algorithms... and CAN'T be used side by side.