Re: Maintaining a Debian mirror via "floppy net"

On 18 Nov 1997, Falk Hueffner wrote:

> I have a PC at home running Debian with no connection to the net.

So do I. When I install packages, I copy the debian/ tree to a jaz disk
in another VC when it asks "shall I delete the installed files", and then I
switch back and answer yes, and delete the files and the debian/ directory.

Then I use dpkg -i at home to install the .deb files.

To do this with zip disks, you'd just need to work out how to split the
stable tree, or use one disk when you install the "default" system, and
another for everything else.

Keeping all your .deb files makes it easy to uninstall and reinstall without
hitting any snags like updated packages at ftp.debian.org that could cause
dependency problems.

--
David Wright, Open University, Earth Science Department, Milton Keynes MK7 6AA
U.K.  email: d.wright@open.ac.uk  tel: +44 1908 653 739  fax: +44 1908 655 151