Re: Memory and printing

Though everything that Ted says is true, I must note that an HP 6L is
not a PostScript printer.  I have a 5L at home with 1 MB memory and
can say that, under PCL, that that is enough memory to printer
anything but the most complex graphics at 600 dpi and I haven't found
a page yet that failed to print at 300 dpi.

Ted Harding <Ted.Harding@nessie.mcc.ac.uk> writes:
> On 18-Nov-97 G. Kapetanios wrote:
> > I am thinking of bying a laser printer but I have one question. I will be
> > printing some large documents with lots of graphics in them. The files
> > will have the postscript format. For example one file I recently printed
> > was 6.2 Mb. The cheapest laser printer is HP 6L with 1 Mb of memory. Does
> > this mean I will not be able to print  my files which are larger than 1
> > Mb? Or doesn't it matter as long as my computer memory is large enough ?
> > Any hint will be appreciated.
> With a PostScript printer what matters is that the printer memory is large
> enough to hold the information required to compose 1 page, plus any
> "global" PS code which the file requires. For a page consisting mainly of
> text which only calls for the fonts that come with the printer, the page
> requirement is only a few KB and there's no problem.
[...]
--
Ben Pfaff <pfaffben@pilot.msu.edu> <blp@gnu.org> <pfaffben@debian.org>