PPP & minicom

All of you have probably seen this question many times, but I'm having
trouble getting my modem setup in Debian Linux.  This is my first time using
linux, but I so far I can't get either pppd or minicom to init the modem.
In fact I don't even know if I have the serial port and all the other
details set correctly.  Is there any how-to or something to that effect,
that someone has used to successfully set up the isp connection?  Or if you
feel helpful enough just email me.  Thanks.
Jeremy
jeremy@cardina.net
http://www.cardina.net/~jeremy