Re: X11 Installation

> I have a few problems installing X11 on my Debian system; it seems that
> the video will not work. I have a Matrox Millenium-II card (w/ 4MB WRAM)
> and a 15" NEC MultiSync 4FG monitor. I looked up compatibility problems
> and I have seen that the Matrox Millenium-II is not compatible with
> XFree86, even if the Millenium and Mystique are. I tried using
> "Unsupported VGA card" and "Standard VGA monitor"; the tests of the X
> server work fine, but when I load xdm, the computer freezes. Can anyone
> help? Thanks.

Jeff,

you card is supported (partially at least) by Xfree86-3.1.1 release.
Debian doesn't have this release in stable. I would suggest you
to install debian packages for xserver-svga and -vga16, download
only SVGA server from xfree86 site and copy it over existing server
installed by debian package in /usr/X11R6/bin/. Fire up XF86Setup
and configure the server for your card.

Goos luck.

Alex Y.
--