X11 Installation

I have a few problems installing X11 on my Debian system; it seems that
the video will not work. I have a Matrox Millenium-II card (w/ 4MB WRAM)
and a 15" NEC MultiSync 4FG monitor. I looked up compatibility problems
and I have seen that the Matrox Millenium-II is not compatible with
XFree86, even if the Millenium and Mystique are. I tried using
"Unsupported VGA card" and "Standard VGA monitor"; the tests of the X
server work fine, but when I load xdm, the computer freezes. Can anyone
help? Thanks.

Jeff