using dpkg to "see" the contents of a package

I am new to Debian, so this may be a somewhat stupid question... Is
there a way to use dpkg to list the contents, etc. of a package that is
not installed? I like to see what it is I am installing first, and when
I used rpm I could query the contents first. Is there a dpkg equivalent?

Thanks!
Tim
--
	Debian GNU Linux	Power to the people...