Re: olvwm

On Fri, 14 Nov 1997, Bill Moran wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am (still) trying to get olvwm to work under debian. When I run
> /usr/bin/X11/olvwm, I receive the message
>
> Cannot connect to (NULL DISPLAY)
>

> I have a .DISPLAY file in my home directory with
>
> :0.0
>

> in it. When I type "env" I cannot  find a DISPLAY variable.  How do I
> set the variable for olvwm?

Even with all this information things are a little sketchy.

I'm not clear on just how you are starting X. I start it with xdm and
olvwm just comes up. Is the top entry in /etc/X11/window-managers:

	/usr/X11R6/bin/olvwm

?

If you try to start the server and the screen blanks but never provides a
"desk top" then there are several possibilities for the problem that are
unrelated to olvwm. The most likely is that your configuration file
doesn't fit your graphics card, although this could involve fonts, or
other features of the system that are misconfigured. It is very important
that you configure the software for the proper card and monitor, otherwise
results are hard to predict.

Hope I have been of some help,

Dwarf