Can't login anymore

Right after I installed postgres 6.2.1 and played with is a little I
can't log into my LINUX anymore. Everything goes on as usual until it
reaches:
INIT: entering runlevel: 2
Then it differs from what it used to do, which is start the various
daemons
Now it says: Debian Linux 1.3 (none) tty1
(none) ?????     That's not what it used to say.

(none) login:

No matter how I login : even as root it takes me back to (none) login:

"Give root password for maintenance"
(or type Control-D for normal startup):

Only way out is a hard reset

Please help. If there is any way rather than reinstall.

Chuma