Re: LD_LIBRARY_PATH causes problems in hamm distribution

> On Wed, 12 Nov 1997, Jameson Burt wrote:
>
>  : After upgrading ldso, libc6 and several other packages, several packages
>  : failed to work, responding "segmentation violation",
>  : 	xv, xfig, xephem
>  : The cause of this was my setting of LD_LIBRARY_PATH in .bashrc.
>  : I had used this setting with no problems for a year under rex and bo.
>  :
>  : To correct this, I tried many combinations of paths in LD_LIBRARY_PATH,
>  : including those in /etc/ld.so.conf.  I could never get all packages to work
>  : with any LD_LIBRARY_PATH.  I could get xv and xfig to work, but then vim would
>  : respond "caught deadly signal SEGV".
>  :
>  : The file /etc/ld.so.conf seems to do properly what LD_LIBRARY_PATH did.
>  : I presume we should NO longer use the environment variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH.
>
> What LD_LIBRARY_PATH's did you try?
>
> I never experience any problems with it. Make sure those programs get their
> libraries loaded from the correct directory (find out with ldd).
>
> bye,
>
> Remco
>

> --

export  \ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw3d:/usr/X11R6/lib/Xaw95:/usr/X11R6/
lib/neXtaw:/usr/local/lib:/usr/lib/libc5-compat:/lib/libc5-compat:/usr/X11R6/li
b:/usr/lib/i486-linuxaout:/usr/X11R5/lib:/usr/X11R6/lib/i486-linuxaout
gave
	Vim: Caught deadly signal SEGV
	Vim: Finished.

export  \ LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/usr/local/lib/X11:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/
lib/X11:/usr/X11R6/lib
gave for xv
	Segmentation fault

export \
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=
left vim, xv, ... generally working.

While I followed the libc5-libc6-mini-HOWTO.txt, I suspect I should do some
more upgrading.  Upgrading most of the "base" directory helped some, though it
broke xload until I upgraded its appropriate packages.  I consider that I
would like to use dselect to upgrade everything at once, but then while some
commands would work, many other commands would probably break.

I currently also notice outlining with the mouse in xterm now works bawkily,
and xephem started from .xsession responds
 	Can not open edb/YBS.edb: No such file or directory
though it runs fine from the command line.

Having read about the latest gimp in Linux Journal, I moved to the hamm
distribution with the much later version.  I got too greedy, so I now have
several problems that did not exist before.

I can hobble around Debian Linux for the next couple months until I can
install hamm via dselect, or maybe via divinity by then.  I am now using the
"unstable" distribution after all.