can't install LILO

Hello,
I'm having trouble installing LILO inder Debian 1.3.1 (installing
from floppies).
My disks:
/dev/hda     DOS/Win3.1 boot
/dev/hdb1    DOS FAT16
/dev/hdb2    Linux Swap
/dev/hdb3    Linux Root
/dev/hdb4    Minix

My /etc/lilo.conf file:

boot=/dev/hda
compact
vga=normal
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
ramdisk=0
prompt
timeout=200
message=/boot/startup.message
default=3
## LINUX
image=/vmlinuz
root=/dev/hdb3
read-only
label=3
## DOS/Windows
other=/dev/hda1
table=/dev/hda
label=1
## MINIX
other=/dev/hdb4
label=2

When I run LILO, the HD light comes on for a second, I get a message
that 1 and 2 are added... then I reboot and instead of LILO coming
up, the computer just boots DOS. Shouldn't the line

boot=/dev/hda

cause LILO to write itself to the MBR of the first HD? Any ideas? I'm
sure the HD is OK - it worked last week under a different Linux but I
want to run Debian. I made sure I turned off all the anti-virus stuff
under DOS, too, just in case before booting Debian from floppy and
running LILO. Thanks...

Ken Deboy
glockr@locked_and_loaded.reno.nv.us