Re: BIND help
Paul Miller <firstname.lastname@example.org> writes:
> here is my db.3dillusion.com domain configuration file.. I need a matching
> reverse lookup file for this and I don't know how to make one. Can
> someone help me out here?
I think you need to fix this first. I'm not an expert on DNS, but
I've experimented and read a bit.
Presumably you've said something like this somewhere:
primary 3dillusion.com db.3dillusion.com
Here are the changes I'd suggest:
--- db.3dillusion.com.paul Sat Nov 8 20:40:34 NZDT 1997
+++ db.3dillusion.com Sat Nov 8 20:40:34 NZDT 1997
- @ IN SOA ns.3dillusion.com hostmaster.3dillusion.com (
+ @ IN SOA ns.3dillusion.com. hostmaster.3dillusion.com. (
97110701 ; serial (yymmddxx)
10800 ; refresh 3 hours
3600 ; retry 1 hour
3600000 ; expire 1000 hours
86400 ) ; minimum 24 hours
- IN A 188.8.131.52
+ IN A 184.108.40.206.
IN MX 100 mail.3dillusion.com.
- ns IN NS ns.3dillusion.com.
+ ns IN NS 3dillusion.com.
- ftp IN CNAME ftp.3dillusion.com.
+ ftp IN CNAME 3dillusion.com.
- mail IN CNAME mail.3dillusion.com.
+ mail IN A 220.127.116.11.
- www IN CNAME www.3dillusion.com.
+ www IN CNAME 3dillusion.com.
- 3dillusion IN CNAME 3dillusion.3dillusion.com.
+ 3dillusion IN CNAME 3dillusion.com.
- paul IN CNAME paul.3dillusion.com.
+ paul IN CNAME 3dillusion.com.
IN HINFO I386 LINUX
Make sure there are no errors logged by syslog when bind starts up.
Of course I could be completely wrong.
I don't know much about configuring reverse maps when you don't own
all the IP range. There already seems to be a PTR record from
18.104.22.168 to 3dillusion.com, which is all you need.
* Everything should end in "." unless you want to substitute in
"3dillusion.com" (the same as what "@" stands for). This means I
could actually have left some bits out.
* An MX cannot point to a CNAME.
* A CNAME must point to an A, not itself. Same with an NS, I think.
Carey Evans <*> http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/ gc
Neniu anticipas la hispanan Inkvizicion.
TO UNSUBSCRIBE FROM THIS MAILING LIST: e-mail the word "unsubscribe" to
Trouble? e-mail to email@example.com .
- BIND help
- From: Paul Miller <firstname.lastname@example.org>