Re: BIND help

Paul Miller <paul@3dillsion.3dillusion.com> writes:

> here is my db.3dillusion.com domain configuration file.. I need a matching
> reverse lookup file for this and I don't know how to make one.  Can
> someone help me out here?

I think you need to fix this first.  I'm not an expert on DNS, but
I've experimented and read a bit.

Presumably you've said something like this somewhere:

  primary 3dillusion.com db.3dillusion.com

Here are the changes I'd suggest:

--- db.3dillusion.com.paul	Sat Nov  8 20:40:34 NZDT 1997
+++ db.3dillusion.com	Sat Nov  8 20:40:34 NZDT 1997
- @		IN	SOA ns.3dillusion.com hostmaster.3dillusion.com (
+ @		IN	SOA ns.3dillusion.com. hostmaster.3dillusion.com. (
  				97110701	; serial (yymmddxx)
  				10800		; refresh 3 hours
  				3600		; retry 1 hour
  				3600000		; expire 1000 hours
  				86400 )		; minimum 24 hours
- 		IN	A		198.109.162.43
+               IN      A               198.109.162.43.
  		IN	MX	100	mail.3dillusion.com.
- ns		IN	NS		ns.3dillusion.com.
+ ns            IN      NS              3dillusion.com.
- ftp		IN	CNAME		ftp.3dillusion.com.
+ ftp           IN      CNAME           3dillusion.com.
- mail		IN	CNAME		mail.3dillusion.com.
+ mail          IN      A               198.109.162.43.
- www		IN	CNAME		www.3dillusion.com.
+ www           IN      CNAME           3dillusion.com.
- 3dillusion	IN	CNAME		3dillusion.3dillusion.com.
+ 3dillusion    IN      CNAME           3dillusion.com.
- paul		IN	CNAME		paul.3dillusion.com.
+ paul          IN      CNAME           3dillusion.com.
  		IN	HINFO	I386	LINUX

Make sure there are no errors logged by syslog when bind starts up.
Of course I could be completely wrong.

I don't know much about configuring reverse maps when you don't own
all the IP range.  There already seems to be a PTR record from
198.109.162.43 to 3dillusion.com, which is all you need.

Explanation:
 * Everything should end in "." unless you want to substitute in
   "3dillusion.com" (the same as what "@" stands for).  This means I
   could actually have left some bits out.
 * An MX cannot point to a CNAME.
 * A CNAME must point to an A, not itself.  Same with an NS, I think.

--
    Carey Evans  <*>  http://home.clear.net.nz/pages/c.evans/  gc

	       Neniu anticipas la hispanan Inkvizicion.