ppp, smail, and apache configuration for a non-networked home debian , system

I've managed to set my machine up to do the following, all of which I find
useful in the context of a machine that is dialed in only part of the
time.

Anyway, my machine is now doing the following:
- rewrites the From: header on outgoing mail by looking up the sender's
  username in a configuration file.
- accepts incoming STMP mail sent to the DNS name of the current ppp IP
  address.
- correctly re-directs www requests that come in over the ppp line (for
  example, if someone leaves off the trailing / on a directory spec.,
  they'll now be redirected to the correct page, on the current IP
  address)

Hmmm... it seems a lot less impressive now that I write it out, but I was
pleased at the time.

Anyway, I've made up a web page describing what I did to my machine to
make it behave this way, and have put it at:
http://www.math.jhu.edu/~martind/mybox.html
Enjoy.

DANIEL MARTIN