Re: other side of remote xdm

Rick Hawkins wrote:
> > > We'd like to set up some boxes that come up as xterminals, to be used on
> > > the remote connections.  I've found the -querey type options for startx,
> > > but not for xdm.  We really just want to turn old hardware into remote
> > > heads on alphas.  Can anyone make any suggestions?
> >
> > Let's call the computer that is supposed to be the X terminal 'local', and
> > call the computer that it will connect to 'remote'.
> >
> > If you have xdm set up and running with the standard config files on
> > 'remote', there should be no problem. On 'local', just run something like
>
> > # X -query <ip_of_remote>
>
> The problem, though, is that this requires that a user already be logged
> into the local host.  I need to find a way to use xdm, so that only the
> remote host is logged into.  logins on the local host add another layer
> of complexity that those who allocate machines won't understand.

My approach has been to add something like this to /etc/inittab:

X:2:respawn:/usr/X11R6/bin/X -indirect <foo>

Then you don't need to log into the local computer, X is started
automatically on boot querying the server. And if X crashes, it is
automatically restarted by init.

Any better solutions out there?

--
see shy jo