Re: fonts in Navigator

BG Lim wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I've been using Netscape Navigator 4.03 for some time. I use it to
> browse sites like ZDnet. My problem is that the fonts are not legible
> and quite small. I don't knwo how to change them. How do I reassign
> fonts in Navigator? OR is it a system wide X setting?

Fonts are configured by using setting X "resources". X Resources are
kind of like the Registry in Win95/NT. The trouble is, first you
need to find out what resource needs to be set. Resources are named
like

  blah.blah.blah

or
  blah*blah

because resources utilize a loose matching algorithm to bind values.
For instance, the resource setting

  *font: 6x10

Would match 'Netscape.font' or 'XTerm.font' unless of course there
was a a stricter match available (eg. 'Netscape.font'). I use such
a "wildcard" font resource on my laptop. Note that naming of fonts
or, shall we say "font specification" can be complex. Fonts have
names like: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed--13-120-75-75-c-60-iso8859-1
This allows an extremely way to find a font based upon criteria.
Fortunately, there are a set of aliases for fonts to make life easy for
us. If you look at the file /usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc/fonts.alias you'll
see a list of commonly-used fixed-width fonts with names like '6x10'.
So open up the file ~/.Xresources and play with

  *font: blah

until you find one you like. Note that each time you modify this
file you'll need to restart Netscape. I think you'll also need to
run 'xrdb -merge < ~/.Xresources' to load in your new settings. If
none of this works report back.

--
Jens B. Jorgensen
jjorgens@bdsinc.com